H elp Fight Domestic Violence by Recycling Your old Wireless Phone Via HopeLine® From Verizon
As we were doing a little “Spring” cleaning we realized that we had a few old wireless cell phones that were just sitting around collecting dust. Since we couldn’t just throw them away we started looking for options of how to get dispose of them when we came across the HopeLine® program from Verizon. Exclusive to Verizon, HopeLine puts their technology and the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless network to work in communities by turning no-longer-used wireless phones into support for victims of domestic violence and helps protect the environment by disposing of wireless phones in an environmentally sound way.
Since HopeLine from Verizon’s national cell phone recycling and re-use program was launched in 2001, Verizon Wireless has:
- Collected more than 8 million phones.
- Awarded more than $10 million in cash grants to domestic violence agencies and organizations throughout the country.
- Distributed more than 106,000 phones with more than 319 million minutes of free wireless service to be used by victims of domestic violence.
- Properly disposed of nearly 1.7 million no-longer-used wireless phones in an environmentally sound way.
- Kept more than 210 tons of electronic waste and batteries out of landfills.
Once we thought about it, if we had 3 old phones at our house, how many other people were just like us? That’s why we decided we wanted to do something to help.
During the month of July we are happy to help prevent domestic violence by being a drop-off location for those of you that want to donate no-longer used wireless phones and accessories from any service provider in any condition. Just bring them into the store and we’ll take care of everything from there!
How to Donate
Verizon Wireless also takes the protection of customer information seriously. The company encourages everyone who plans to give a phone to HopeLine to erase any personal data on the phone before donating it. If in doubt on what to remove from your phone, leave it to the professionals. As part of the refurbishing process, HopeLine scrubs the phones prior to distributing them for re-use to ensure all customer information is removed.
Donating an old wireless phone to HopeLine® from Verizon is as easy as following these steps:
- Turn the phone’s power off.
- Make sure the phone’s batteries are installed in the phone you are returning.
- Please do not include any loose batteries.
- Please remove storage cards (microSD, etc.) and SIM cards from phones prior to donation. Also be sure to return any travel chargers or other accessories that came with the devices.
- Seal the package and and bring it to us.
*Please note: Donated phones are not tax deductible.